Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rhymes With Witches by Lauren Myracle



Plot:
Jane dreams of being chosen as the freshman member a dominant school clique made up of one girl from each class. When her wish is granted, and she is offered a place in their group, Jane discovers the terrible price of their particular kind of popularity. There is a sinister secret to their power, one that will change Jane forever. Darkly humorous and dead on, this book will leave readers shivering in recognition.


Review:
In all honesty, Rhymes With Witches fell into the category of “wannabe Mean Girls story” and not in a good way. There were a few really interesting points in the book but the subject did not follow those, it rambled on with the predictable points and the points that made hardly any sense at all even upon finishing the book. The plot felt a little broken throughout, like there were three things going on at once and none of them were relevant to each other. Really, it’s just another “I’m not popular with those snob kids over there so I am all down and sucky” kind of stories. The main character (Jane) fell a little flat. The book took a pushing effort to get all the way through simply out of curiosity, but I still don’t feel like I got any of the answers to the questions I had while reading the book. Instead I got answers to the questions I didn’t have, think of, and know. If you are looking for a drama teen novel like Gossip Girl, this would not be my first choice on any day.


Rating:
1.5
Read again?
No way.

No comments:

Post a Comment