Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares



Plot:
Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn't look all that great; they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them. But Tibby says they're great. She'd love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they're fabulous. Lena decides they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in anything), thinks she looks good in the pants. Over a few bags of cheese puffs they decide to form a sisterhood, and take the vow of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants . . . the next morning, they say good-bye. And now the journey of the pants -- and the most memorable summer of their lives -- begins.



Review:
I genuinely have to admit that Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (the original first book that hooked me into the series for good) is beyond just my favorite book of all time but my favorite story. The set of honest feelings you get while reading this book is truly unique as are the books loveable realistic characters and relatable storylines. You follow each individual character’s story throughout and it really pulls you further and further into the pages along the way. The pages are filled with everything and the fantastic thing is that each and every feeling, emotion, and incident, you can completely relate to in some way. There is sorrow, fear, regret, falling in love, pushing yourself too far, expectance of one thing and the outcome of another, anger, pain, loss, tears, misunderstanding, running away, I mean every experience and interesting detail you would want to read about. So if you are looking for a very unique entertaining read with many connections, I would highly recommend this book (especially in the summer). And for those of you who wonder, my favorite character’s story in this book was that of Tibby’s.



Fun Sideline:
The first time I read (or heard I should say) this book I was about 11 years old, in the car on my way home from vacation. We were following a friend home and she suggested listening to this audio book she had checked out from the library to pass the time. When my mom first put the CD in I did not fall in love, I protested against listening to it after the first few sentences saying it sounded stupid, a book about pants. “Just listen to it,” she had said as well as my sisters who were riding in the car. As the story progressed that is when I fell in love. Funny me, just think if my mother had obeyed my request to turn in off. I probably would still have no idea what I missed out on.


Rating:
5.0
Read again?
Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment