Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares



Plot:
With a bit of last summer's sand in the pockets, the Traveling Pants and the Sisterhood that wears them embark on their 16th summer. Bridget: Impulsively sets off for Alabama, wanting to both confront her demons about her family and avoid them all at once. Lena: Spends a blissful week with Kostos, making the unexplainable silence that follows his visit even more painful. Carmen: Is concerned that her mother is making a fool of herself over a man. When she discovers that her mother borrowed the Pants to wear on a date, she's certain of it. Tibby: Not about to spend another summer working at Wallman's, she takes a film course only to find it's what happens off-camera that teaches her the most.


Review:
This book was quite another great addition to the series by Ann Brashares. I read this while on the beach and man, I never wanted to put it down. I will admit that the first book still stands as my favorite but this one is probably my second favorite out of all four. Unlike some sequels, this addition adds more than enough satisfying answers to each character’s thought out questions you wonder upon completion of the first book. Carmen is forced to take a step out of her comfort zone, Lena is realizing what she really wants, Bridget discovers she has a firm ground to stand on, and Tibby is faced with the trust after trying to run away from her emotions and losses. There is no reason not to read this book if you have read the first book. So if you are wondering whether or not to continue the series I strongly suggest you read the second book too. Oh and if you are wondering, my favorite characters’ stories in this book were both Bridget’s and Tibby’s. I just couldn’t decide between the two!


Fun Sideline:
Starting my freshman year of high school I began reading each of the Sisterhood books (one each summer) on my yearly vacation. I started with the first freshman year, read the second during the summer of sophomore year, and so on and so forth. Believe me, I did not cheat! (Though I highly wanted to.) The only book I had read (or heard) previously was the first and so I just read it my freshman year anyway, knowing what happens. I drew the process out through the time span of four years so I matched each of the Sisterhood character’s ages with mine. It was so much fun. You should try it too if it’s not too late.


Rating:
5.0
Read again?
Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment